Monday, November 17, 2014

Are Camelids the Next "It" Animal?

It seems every year, one or two animal species are deemed trendy, and they appear on everything from toys to clothing. A few years ago it was deer. Last year it was foxes. Are llamas/alpacas the next trendy animal? I'm seeing them pop up everywhere lately.

I first spotted the seeming trend at ModCloth. First, it was this cute sweater:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/pullovers-sweaters/i-got-it-from-my-llama-sweater

Then there was another, and some tanks and accessories too.


Then I saw they even did their fall photo shoot at an alpaca farm!

Next, it was West Elm, with this adorable Christmas ornament:
http://www.westelm.com/products/bottle-brush-ornament-llama-d2637/?lineid=1&cm_src=E%3Achristmas-ornaments&catalogId=38

And just the other day, a friend noticed these fabulous pajamas at Target:
http://www.target.com/p/nite-nite-munki-munki-women-s-pj-set-green-llama/-/A-16508983#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

When I first had my farm dream, I looked everywhere for a cute plush alpaca, and maybe some alpaca-printed fabric. I came up empty handed. But now an Etsy search yields quite a few adorable alpaca plush, like this amazing guy by CatRabbit:
and a search for "alpaca" on indie fabric site Spoonflower yields 88 results. I think this one is my favorite:
But weirdest of all, a recent My Little Pony parody about economic disparity features animated alpacas voiced by Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, Sarah Silverman, and Andy Richter.

What do you think? Is this the next trendy animal? Will it increase appreciation for the animal itself, as well as their fiber? Or is just a passing strange fad?

Have you seen any alpaca-related stuff out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment