Sunday, July 6, 2014

Back In the Spin of Things

Though my love affair with fiber began with knitting, I also enjoy handspinning. Sadly, I don't make as much time for it as I should. But I have some extra incentive this month, as I decided to participate in a wildcard team for Tour de Fleece over on Ravelry. This is an annual spin-along with the Tour de France. You're supposed to spin something every day the Tour rides, if possible.

I didn't manage to spin on the first day, but today I did spin about 4 ounces of this pretty Finn:
There was already 4 ounces of this spun in my bag, which my notes say was spun almost exactly one year ago. Ooops! Poor spinning wheel.

I'm slowly working my way through a considerable fiber stash acquired in 2008, when I first learned how to spin. To get experience with different types of fibers, I joined a few fiber clubs that sent out a random fiber every month. I knew that if left to my own devices, I'd just buy the same types of fiber in the same colors over and over.

The clubs worked out great. So far, I've gotten to spin wensleydale, corriedale, shetland, blue-faced leicester, camel/silk, merino, merino-silk and, of course, alpaca. I'm not sure what is left in my stash, but I plan to go stash diving tomorrow to choose what else to spin this month. The Tour runs until July 27!

Any of you participating in the Tour? I'd love to see links and hear about your favorite spinning fibers!

No comments:

Post a Comment